Monday, September 6, 2010

Zucchini STRETCHER

Here's my new favorite stretcher:

ZUCCHINI!

Anyone have an abundance of zucchini in their yards? I don't! I have found too many uses for it. This has been the summer of 101 uses for zucchini and I love it. The only thing I am sad about it that I am not storing nearly enough for the rest of the year because we are using so much. You'd think with 3 zucchini plants and 2 yellow squash plants, we'd have plenty, but not so. Here's some ideas so far:

**Use it as a filler with beef - we've used it in spaghetti sauce, lasagna and MEATLOAF and my non-zucchini lovers haven't even noticed and gobbled up each of these. Texture: Shredded

**Use it in place of other veggies - we've found a fabulous "cheesy potatoes" recipe for Friday night burger night and we substitute half the potatoes with zucchini & squash and it is delicious! Texture: Slice it

**Use it in muffins or pancakes instead of pumpkin. Texture: Shred it

**Add it to soup. Last week we didn't have any corn, so I popped in some chopped summer squash instead and nobody noticed or complained. Texture: Chop it.

**I think it would also be good in breakfast burritos or omelets but haven't tried that out yet. Texture: Shred it.

**Now we are trying out zucchini patties this week - we'll let you know what we think.

Try it out and STRETCH your money a little further. And next year, I'm planting MORE zucchini (and teaching my dog not to eat it)

No comments:

Post a Comment