Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lunchtime Tip

Have I mentioned my lunchtime savings tip? My husband is great about eating leftovers, which is happy for me. I have learned to always cook extra. If there is WAY too much, we have another meal. If there is just 1-2 servings leftover, we put it in the tupperware and place it in our "leftover" drawer in our fridge and send it to work with the huz the next day. We figure that it saves us oodles of money. Think about it - I don't have to even buy the frozen meals to cook at work. I pay the $2-5 per meal for my family and feed my family the night before and my husband for 1-2 lunches. He saves the money he would have spent going out to lunch and we are all happy. Here's a calculation breakdown.

Cost of Lunches

Leftovers: ranges from $.25-$2 for a lunch (the $2 would be if we had STEAK, which is very rare) - and I can be sure to get some veggies and healthy foods instead of prepared, greasy foods - Average cost: $.68/day

Frozen Meals: Cost for 1 pot pie or burrito is about $.50 - my huz would eat at least 2, plus need some sort of treat, veggie, and possibly a fruit = >$2 - Average Cost = $1.50

Eating Out: Cheapest is about $5, usually closer to $7-8 - Average Cost = $5 (I make him be cheap)


FOR A WEEK:
Leftovers = $3.40; Frozen Meals = $7.50; Eating Out CHEAPLY = $25

FOR A MONTH:
Leftovers = $13.60; Frozen Meals = $30; Eating Out CHEAPLY = $100

FOR A YEAR:
Leftovers = $176.80; Frozen Meals = $390; Eating Out CHEAPLY = $1300 (a mortgage payment!)

SAVINGS:
Leftovers instead of Eating Out for 1 year for 1 person (double if you have 2 working full-time)= $1,123.20 (or nearly 1 month's mortgage)
Leftovers instead of Frozen Meals for 1 year (double if you have 2 working full-time)= $213.20 (or nearly 1 car payment or piano lessons for 1 child for a few months?)

Frozen Meals instead of Eating Out for 1 year (double if you have 2 working full-time)= $910 (still a hefty portion of a mortgage payment)

Anyway you look at it, taking a lunch vs. buying lunch is hugely economical. With using this money to make an extra payment on your home each year, you could pay off your home 8-10 years earlier than your predicted rate and save even more!

1 comment:

  1. Mike also takes leftovers for lunches. Love this blog. Way to go! Keep up the good work! Wish we were closer and could share deals again more often.

    ReplyDelete